Wednesday 14 January 2015

PASSAGE - through time and through nowhere

 7 January 2015, on an old train in the middle of nowhere, for today, 'nowhere' finds itself in the Polish countryside


Oh how tremendously life has changed in the past few weeks. 

I think back fondly: Saturday mornings spent wandering the streets of Chinatown, witnessing night turning into day in clubs encircling the Bay that selfsame evening, gazing down upon the glittering city from a multiplicity of glittering skyscrapers; Sundays in glitzy shopping malls, or out in the sunshine and warmth of that cheerful island. Weekdays spent in camp (really, it wasn't so bad): the brick-red parade square and the gleaming silver flagpoles, the less-than-luxurious bunks and the rusty little gym. The smiles of friends, the less than stellar food - the shared suffering. The warm familiarity of it all, of that life. 

But today I find myself in a carriage on an old, perhaps Soviet train, being whisked through golden fields and snowy forests, as countless little Polish villages, scarred by unendingly harsh winters and a painful history, flash past the grimy windows. I press up to the glass, my breath fogging up the icy pane, watching landscapes of green, gold, and white melt into one another. 

At this moment, the snow drives down hard; sheets of ice slide rapidly down the windowpane. The next, an expanse of gold, dotted with now almost-bare trees, as dogs romp about against a backdrop of grazing horses, while the rare villager rides past on his creaking bicycle, baskets filled to the brim, for winter has arrived and shall remain. All this time, I sit pensively, a witness, as the train whistles sound, piercing the still silence of the landscape. It is something almost out of an old black and white feature. Flocks of frightened birds are sent up into the air as panting cars sit at ramshackle crossings, waiting for their turn to pass. 

I catch a glimpse of a copse of white birches; a split-second later, they're gone. Warsaw is approaching fast. I hide myself warmly in my many layers of wool and cotton. My scarf tenderly hugs my shivering neck. Gemütlichkeit. I step out onto the platform, and so the next adventure begins. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Niall!

    I'm a Singapore exploring different options to live in Germany (even for a short while) in order to gain international experience and living abroad. I'm just wondering if you could share what was your purpose in Germany? For studies/work?

    Also, I really enjoyed your entries, especially those written in Europe. They are very poetic and seems to be portraying a certain level of emotions that most readers that resonate with.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anja! Great to hear from you, and thanks for your very kind comment.

      I moved here originally because of my father's work - he gets posted to a new country every few years and I basically just tag along (except during the NS period)!

      It's been a priceless experience so far, especially when interacting with the Germans themselves - a people with such an illustrious, rich, and also yet painful and shameful history (although I would say that Berlin doesn't feel and isn't really 'german', or even part of Germany, in my opinion. And it can get to be rather ugly in places, but there's so much to be discovered beneath that superficial façade, or rather lack thereof). It's truly a nation at a crossroads, part 'east' and part 'west', that pieced itself together with immense haste, and successfully so (rather like Singapore, in fact!)

      And it's a wonderful springboard to other nations in the region, to both the France-Italy-Spain-Switzerland bit, as well as the Poland-Slovakia-Czech Rep-Romania bit (which I'm far more taken by). In Singapore I felt pretty cloistered and stifled, in need of fresh air, and it sounds a tad cliché, but I'm 100% taken by Twain's quote: "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."

      Hope that helped a little!

      Cheers

      Delete